Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A strange concoction



I like to try new things and a visit to London is a great opportunity for me to indulge a bit and try some new and very strange foods.

This is Porridge. I've heard of it before but I never really knew what it was. They seem to sell it everywhere here and I figured it would be a good starter for my first taste of real UK food.

Porridge is made from Jumbo Oats they told me at Crussh a trendy little Juice Bar in Westminster. It's not like the oatmeal we eat though, there are no identifiable oat pieces in it. I'm guessing they grinding the oats down to a powder to make it lighter and fluffier. Then they get creative.

I asked the young friendly girl behind the counter what she liked to put in her porridge. She told me the best thing was Soy Milk, a handleful of a Cashew, seed, raisin, and other fruit mix, bananas and maple syrup (it's a lot thinner than our maple syrup). It looked a bit strange or "nutty" if you will but it was really good! Much much much better than the "Oriental Beef Burger" I tried from the McDonalds here last night (Barf).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have also wondered what the English porridge was!
I am so enjoying your blog. With your descriptive writing I feel as if I am there in London with you.
AND as always, you make me laugh, too.
I love you bunches,
Mom

Farman29 said...

Looks like some crap you mix together here at the station, but i don't see cottage cheese in it?!!?

Warren said...

ha ha... thats not porridge! Thats some swanky take on porridge that someone is making a fortune making! Porridge is ground oats, milk, boiled and you add either sugar (english) or salt (Scots). porridge does not have that rubbish in it!

- source, I am an englishman! Go to tesco, buy a box of ready brek and make up as per instructions... add jam, nutella, golden syrup or anything else, but not all those rubbush nuts and seeds... that just makes yo look like a fool.

peace

Rob the Blog Ninja said...

Thanks Warren. Ready Brek it is. I have a bottle of Jam at the ready.

I do like the cashews though... Yummah