Saturday, December 31, 2011

Fan Castles

Still fun to make after all these years

Monday, December 26, 2011

Must be daddy's turn to cook.

Leftover Christmas turkey and macaroni cheese nachos and slurpees for
dinner. I am dad of the year!

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

First day of the Academy 1995

One of the guys from my class posted these pics on Facebook today.  Here is my first and last day sporting a pony tail while working for KCFD.  It looks like we just got done with PT, everyone looks tired and sweaty.

Academy (3)

Academy (2)

Friday, December 16, 2011

I told you Netti Pots were bad for you!

Brain-Eating Amoeba In Tap Water Kills Two In Lousiana

The Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals has issued a weird warning: if you have to irrigate your sinuses with water for some medical reason, don't use tap water. The reason: your brains may get eaten by the Naegleria fowleri.
That's the scientific name of the brain-eating amoeba, the gross thing in the picture above. It reminds me of the brain slug in Futurama, except this one kills you instead of controlling your brain.
It's also what happened to two people in that state. They were infected and died after irrigating their sinuses with tap water.

What's the Naegleria fowleri?

The Naegleria fowleri is a micro-organism that lives in ponds, lakes, hot springs or anywhere where there is warm fresh water. According to the Louisiana Department of Health, when you drink it there's no danger. But when you put it up your nose using a device like a neti pot, you are playing with death.

How can you get infected?

If you get it through the nose, the brain-eating will attack your nervous system until you are dead. The chances of surviving its attack are slim: 98 percent of attacks end in the morgue.

What happens if you get infected?

It's pretty horrible. The symptoms start one to 14 days after the infection. Your taste and smell will be altered, you will have headaches, fever and nausea. Your neck will go rigid and you will start vomiting. You may also experience confusion and hallucinations, as well as seizures. Death occurs one to two weeks after exposure.

How can you avoid it?

Fortunately, you can prevent this. Just boil the water first and kill the bastard little bug.
In fact, try not to put anything up your nose and ears that hasn't been sterilized first. It's a common point of entry not only for this bloody thing, but also to viruses and bacteria. [Yahoo and Wikipedia]

Courtesy of Gizmodo

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Matt's Kiddos

Such a good looking brood!

Friday, December 2, 2011

Ginger bread house gone dreadfully wrong!

Such a fun craft. Such a tasty demise. I'm pretty sure that Ryan
knocked this down when I wasn't looking.