Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Old habits die hard

It's our first day in London. We are tired and jetlagged but excited and wide-eyed at the same time. Everything is sooo different here. The architecture is amazing, the people really do speak an entirely different language (I tell them I'm hard of hearing so they will slow down and repeat things so I can figure out what they are saying). Everywhere we go we see people from all different nationalities.

Our apartment is a very tasteful 2 bedroom 2 bath on the second floor with lots of windows overlooking Marsham street. I can watch people walking around all day long and see the open top and double decker buses cruising through town. We are just a few minutes walk from Big Ben and the houses of parliment and I can't wait to actually get the stroller out and give them a good tour.

Ryan has been sick lately and he had a pretty tough time on the flight over. He slept from KC to Chicago which was awesome but he spent several hours crying on the plane ride over to London. He was a good sport considering he isn't feeling good and his naptimes were all screwed up with the time change. Everything considered we had a good trip over and after a few catnaps we are starting to adjust to the 6 hour time change.

We went to the local grocer "Tesco's" today and visted a few shops and ate at a sandwich restaurant in town. This short jaunt was where it really sunk in that we were in a completely different country. We speak a similar language but it ends there pretty much.

Here in London there are no Targets or Walmarts. They have small grocers, though they do have a coffee shop above Tesco which is nice. The restaurants are so small that most of them you can't even wheel a stroller inside (Sorry no Applebee's, Chili's, or Outback). No high chairs have been spotted so far which definitely is a consideration when picking a place to eat. Nobody here seems to know what a blow-dryer/hair dryer is or where one could purchase such a strange appliance. Most places that we've been to so far only take cash. They really don't sell miracle whip or peanut butter here (glad Jessi packed a jar of the PB for us hehe).

The biggest kicker of all. Mountain Dew. It is non-existant here, they do not have the drink in the UK as far as I can tell. The only place I could find to buy some Diet Mountain Dew online was charging over $20 for a 12 pack. That doesn't count taxes or delivery! Those of you who know me well know I drink about 3-4 of these a day normally. Sooo no complaints, I will score some even if I have to hit the underground. It gives me a mission while I'm here and I'm sure it will taste soooo sweet when I have completed my task.

Oh a few Language tidbits for those who are thinking of visiting some day. A Crib is called a "Cot" here, Garbage bins are called "Wheelie bins", you don't get in line for something, you get in "Queue". No elevators in London but you can always take the "Lift". I used to push Ryan around in a stroller but no more! Now he rides high and mighty in his "buggy" hehe.

Oh our apartment has no airconditioning, how weird is that.

Pictures will be forthcoming, I was much too lazy to bring the camera out this morning but I will strive to be a better person tomorrow I swear.

Love you all,

Rob

3 comments:

Farman29 said...

Sounds interesting there?!?!? Do they serve cold beer? Cause if not you need to leave immediately! Sounds like you all will have a good time over there.

mtritterbusch said...

Maybe this would be a good time for you to give up soda :-)

Warren said...

HA HA. They definately have a Chilli's and also an Outback in Cambridge... London is a major city... I suggest after reading your blog, that you get something called the yellow pages and look up 'restaurants' and there you will find said eateries.

Seriously dude, you are in such a 'wrong' area for having a kid! London is crap 100%, get out of there and commute big style. Try hertfordshire. Much better for you $ or even cambridgeshire. Anywhere south is pointless. From huntingdon is 55 mins by train to Kings Cross... seriously, dont live there with a kid. It will get lung diseases!