Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Rob and Ryan Review Traditional British Fare

Today it rained all morning but Ryan and I set out around 11am to see if we could find a decent spot to purchase the "Traditional English Breakfast" I've heard so much about. Eggs, Ham, Bacon, Sausages, Hashbrowns and all kinds of goodies are usually included. Unfortunately because of our late start we had to settle for lunch. We picked a place called "Eat In" a trendy spot near our apartment. We had looked around a bit in the area of a small market that sells fruits/veggies and assorted household items when this spot caught my eye. I noticed that they had high chairs inside and even though I fed Ryan in his stroller I was so suprised to see them that I decided I should give this restaurant my business.
We went up to the register and ordered a Turkey, Bacon, and Mushroom Pie and a cappuchino. They served us quickly and we sat down on one of the last remaining chairs in the store. Here is a picture of the pie.
I guess I had assumed it would be some sort of Quiche but in reality it is eggless and more like a potato stuffing in a crust. The crust is like a standard quiche crust, though they seemed to have cooked all of the shortnening out of it so it didn't have that yummy slightly oily consistancy good flakey pie crust has. The top was akin to charcoal, the inside was bland and the only seasoning I could taste was maybe a hint of sage. The chunks of turkey were pretty good, more like something you'd get off a ren-fest turkey drumstick than a processed turkey cube but the bacon was almost non-existant. Judgeing from the bacon here in the UK which deserves it's own blog (it is AMAZING) this bacon must have been imported from china or something. Here kitty kit.... er i mean piggy piggy. I never did detect a mushroom but I'm going to take their word for it.
Normally I would give this two thumbs down in a heartbeat but Ryan loved it. He devoured the crust pieces and the bland mushy potatoes were the perfect lunch for him. He probably would have eaten the entire thing If I'd let him. So I will give it 1 thumb up and 1 thumb down.
Rob

2 comments:

Sam Ransom said...

Okay I add a thumbs down just from the picture. That doesn't look very yummy. But I'm glad Ryan liked it!

Unknown said...

looking forward to your fish 'n chips review