Saturday, October 18, 2008

Last Day in London

Today is it, we are mostly packed and the apartment seems so empty. We are heading over to the Hiserote's house in Richmond this afternoon for our friend Ken's birthday and then we will come home, get to bed early and we will be up at 3:15am to catch an early taxi to the airport tomorrow.

The time here seemed to drag at times, but now that we are leaving it seems as if it all went by so fast. 2 nights ago Ryan and I met Jess at the Westminster tube station after she got off work and we walked across the Westminster bridge to an area of restaurants under the shadow of the London Eye. As we left for home that night it had gotten dark and the Eye was completely lit up with blue lights. The three of us walked along the Thames river admiring the dancing blue lights on the choppy waters. As we crossed the bridge we noticed Big Ben with it's somber green glow and the houses of parliament stretching out in front of us. We passed Westminster abbey and noted how it was the most beautiful church we had ever seen inside and out. Deep in our own thoughts I couldn't help but think I may never see these wonderful things again.

Even in 2 months time I have started to take all of the amazing sights here for granted. You can only pass something so many times and Oooo and Ahhh. After awhile you are bumping into people with camera's who are snapping excited photo's and you think "Tourists!" I hope all of these things have burnt into my brain somewhere so I can picture this town for the rest of my life. I can't tell how how beautiful this place is and I can't accurately describe to you things like walking through St. James park with the first leaves of fall on the ground and the sun shining through the trees glowing off the wings of the pelicans and swans floating on the lake. Breathing in that first frosty breath of autumn, standing where Kings have hunted and Queens have strolled for centuries, is too big for my simple brain to take in and my hands to type out. God how I wish I could fully appreciate these things!!

My granddad recently published a book about WWII. In the book he describes the relationship that men have with each other in the trenches during wartime. Even though they have only known the person next to them for a few weeks or days or even hours, they quickly become the best of friends. It's funny how in this same land where my grandfather would embark on his military career so many years ago, I would find friends not in the trenches with machine guns but in the parks and drop-ins of London armed with strollers.

Here's to you London and here's to you Stroller Brigade. Thanks for making this a wonderful, memorable 2 months. God Bless!

6 comments:

The Conklin Crew said...

Thank you Rob,Jessie & Ryan. It was such a pleasure to be with you in London. Thanks for all the stroller walks and talks!! We will miss you! See you back in the states=) Take care!

Farman29 said...

Hey Romey.....I thought you all were going to Spain?

Marie said...

I will agree with you that it seems strange to leave that beautiful place. There are still days that I miss having only one thing on my agenda...go to the park with the kiddos. I hope you, Jess & baby "Bryan" enjoy your cruise...we'll have you over for dinner when you get home. Take care and be safe!

Stoller Brigade RULES!!! hee/hee

Peace Out

Marie

Sam Ransom said...

I'm so glad that you were able to experience it all. But I'm SOOOO HAPPY YOU WILL BE BACK SOON!! Oh this week is going to go so slow!!

Kiera said...

I am so thrilled to be able to see you and your great little family again! I have SO enjoyed reading and "living" all of the grand adventures of your lives over the past couple of months. As I read your last post I could not help but to get that lump in my neck that only means one thing... Sadness is coming on! So watch out! I love how you embrassed this adventure! Thanks for letting me share!
I am looking for a stroller brigade to join!?!? Do you know of a good one? Sam may be looking for one too...

Anonymous said...

Rob, awesome job on the journaling via blog. I found myself laughing quite loudly when reading a lot of your posts, and seeing the pictures. You have a talent, my friend, a real talent. Miss you guys tons.

James