Friday, March 27, 2009

Western Civilization

Well I'm officially over the hump in my Western Civilization class. It has been a bumpy road and I think I finally have gotten the hang of it. The teacher of this online class is very particular about his rules and how things are done. I literally had his syllabus and several other word doc's that he's written open as I did every assignment to make sure I was doing them correctly. He's also a pretty tough grader.

I actually didn't like him at all at the beginning of the class, we had several emails between us but I've discovered as the class has gone on that he has really pushed me to be a better student and to really analyze what I'm reading. I would definitely take another of his classes.

The history of the West is pretty amazing, the changes in Europe from the middle ages to present really show how far we have come as a people in such a short time. Even a few hundred years ago there were still serfs and peasants were bought and sold and lived and died with the land they farmed. These people never had a chance for any education or to improve their lives. Once the common man had a chance to get educated and feudalism died, the world changed dramatically. The steam engine was invented, ways to farm and produce food were implemented, inventions in the textile industry meant clothing was cheap enough to make that you could own more that one or two outfits in your entire life! What makes me sad is to think about all of the people who could have made great changes to this world, they could have been scientists or philosophers or doctors or inventors but with society the way it was they never had a chance to be educated or to realize their potential. How much genius has been wasted!

No comments: